Village seeks funds for building upgrades


By Joshua Keeran - jkeeran@civitasmedia.com



WOODSTOCK – In hopes of bringing the Woodstock Municipal Building’s restroom and entrance ramp into compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Village Council on April 10 passed a resolution allowing Mayor Jackie Hayes to apply for funding through the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Allocation Program.

Village Administrator Bradley Herron said while the total cost of the proposed ADA compliance project is unknown, much of it could be covered through CDBG funds, which are administered locally by the Logan-Union-Champaign Regional Planning Commission.

The funds, Herron added, are competitive and limited, so he advised council to consider making a contribution to the project to better the village’s odds of being selected for the grant. He proposed council consider funding 25 percent of the project, which he anticipated would result in a cost to the village of less than $7,500.

Following Fiscal Officer Tom Hallinan’s assurance that the village’s General Fund had the necessary funds available to cover a bill that could run as much as $7,500, council approved a resolution authorizing Kramer & Associates to assist the village in applying for CDBG funds for ADA improvements to the municipal building, 101 N. Main St.

Culvert project

During council’s March meeting, Herron stated he reached out to Pete Hodapp, an engineer with Kramer & Associates, about putting together an application to seek funding to help pay for the installation of a culvert that would run under Flynn Street to help prevent properties in the area from puddling after heavy rains.

Herron said while it was discovered CDBG funds can’t be used for the project, the village is moving forward with an application seeking funding through the Ohio Public Works Commission.

The need for the culvert to help alleviate drainage issues around Flynn Street has been years in the making due to the old tile drainage system being at capacity, Herron said during a recent council meeting. While repairs to the system over the years have made a difference, it hasn’t eliminated the issue.

In February, village resident John Caudill approached council with concerns over standing water on his property (227 Flynn St.) following heavy rains. He was told by Herron that while the engineering work for the installation of a culvert near his property had been completed, the project had never been given the green light due to funding constraints.

Property remediation expected soon

For the second straight meeting, council discussed the status of the burned out mobile home located at 122 S. Main St.

The structure, owned by council member Melinda Current, was destroyed in December 2015 by a fire that claimed the life of a 16-year-old boy.

Last month, council member Beatrice Metz voiced her concerns that the structure has yet to be cleaned up. Instead of the village electing to abate the nuisance itself and seek restitution from Current, the decision was made to allow her more time to remedy the situation.

Herron said following council’s discussion in March, he spoke with Current (absent during the March meeting), who told him her work requirements and limited resources were preventing her from working on the cleanup efforts. She told Herron she would do everything she could to have the property cleaned up by the end of June.

By Joshua Keeran

jkeeran@civitasmedia.com

Joshua Keeran may be reached at 937-508-2304 or on Twitter @UDCKeeran.

Joshua Keeran may be reached at 937-508-2304 or on Twitter @UDCKeeran.